Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 2 (7-8-08)





Today was a pretty good day for Jack and I. We started out the day by straightening up our house a little. I unpacked the last remaining boxes of temp housing items while Jack caught up on some cartoons.


We had breakfast in the park, grabbed some bagels from the bagel store (jack had chocolate chip & i had everything + plain cream cheese) & shared an o.j. After we ate Jack got some playing in at his park. Where he snubbed a little boy who asked him to play with him. I secretly giggled, the boy came up to him and asked Jack how old he was, Jack looked him up one side and down the other and kind of cocked his eyebrow and said, "I'm five" in a very serious I am not impressed with you tone to his voice. He also held up his hand and showed him how many fingers 5 was--in a way I could tell Jack expected this child to not understand just how many five is. The boy replied with a, "I'm five to, wana race?" which really sounded like, "I fife too wana waaaace?" Jack just looked at him, turned around and walked off. That other little boy found someone else to play with after going through the same scenario a few times. After whitnessing this I remembered what it was like when I was little-- at least I always had my sister, otherwise I never probably would have had anyone to play with. I could tell Jack thought it was going to take too much effort to interact with this "lesser being."


After the park we headed to the library for reading time. The librarian for story time was really awesome. I discovered just how painfully shy Jack was-- he picked a spot up front off to the side not realizing that during part of story time the group would turn to the other side of the room and he would be front and center. It took some coaxing but I finally got him to participate a little bit. I remembered just how I was as a little kid. Knowing what I thought was a lot and not wanting to make and mistakes, I could see the look on his face that I must have had so many times... hopefully a few more times and he will get the swing of it. We got to make a craft and he was excited about that.

We then headed home and made lunch, played his maze game we picked up at the coast. After nap time he had a little conversation with gma Beverly and worked on some homework. I can tell he is really smart because he gets frustrated with simple tasks-- but seems to sail through more uper-level cognative skills. We'll see how some math goes tomorrow....

We got home from the grocery store late today-- so no top favorites from Jack tonight, but I am sure he will have some tomorrow.

No comments: