Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkin Patch Field Trap

Yesterday I volunteered to go with Jack's class on their first field trip of the year. It was Jack's class and the other two kindergarten classes that went on the trip. We visited the pumpkin patch at Remlinger Farms in Carnation, WA; about a 20 minute drive outside the city from Jack's school. I have to say, having seen nothing but city and urban sprawl for the last 3 months of my life, it was great to get out and see a little nature.

I had 4 kids in my group to keep track of, which seems like it should be completely do-able, but in a gaggle of 60 kindergartens keeping track of your 4 kids can be a little easier said then done. We got to go on the train ride, learned about bees and pollination, watched a man perform silly songs, looked in a "old-time" farm house (seemed pretty spacious compared to what Grammy grew up in, must have been "well -off" farmers), and go through a hay maze. All of the kids had a great time and it was so fun watching them get so excited over all the new things. At the end of the trip each child got to pick out their own pumpkin. Jack was especially discerning when picking out his, he had to have just the right one and didn't want any dirt on it.

I really wish I would have gotten some pictures of the trip, but I forgot to put new batteries in my camera before I left for school.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

What a fun day!!! I was hoping jack could get out to a pumpkin patch. The Pumpkin Patch is closing saturday here. Autumn is quickly fading, the trees are shedding their leaves and the mornings have been frosty. Winter is just around the corner.
What fun we had carving the pumpkins. As you and Sarah got older, I remember a few real artistic contests.